Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Good-Bye, Davy, With Love

I have a big sad today, so right now, even as we speak, I'm baking brownies. (Recipe to follow.)

Davy Jones of the Monkees has passed away of an apparent heart attack at the age of 66.

He was my first crush, way back in the day. I watched their show religiously. If you want to put it in today's perspective, he was my Backstreet Boy, my Justin Bieber (and a fuck of a lot cuter and more talented, if you want my honest opinion).


When they sang this song, they made me a believer, too.

My childhood was...difficult (and that's all I'm saying) so these magic moments of the Monkees' hi-jinks were treasured.



His death has affected me more than say...Whitney Houston, mostly because he wasn't a cracked-out diva and actually worked for a living. Last month he was performing on a cruise ship (and doing a mighty fine job) and as recently as last night performing on a solo tour.

The Monkees worked with some of the biggest talent in music, like Neil Diamond (who wrote "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You), Boyce and Hart, and Carole King. They played their own instruments on tour, although not always in the studio, and by many accounts were respected musicians even if they were a "casted" group. Among their friends and supporters were the Beatles, The Who, and the Spencer Davis Group. They took a lot of heat from the media for using studio musicians in their recordings, but this was unfair as a lot of the groups of the time (and even now, actually) employ studio musicians.

He was cute, funny, talented, and a gift. He will be missed.

And now, I'm going to eat my brownies, play all the YouTube videos I can find, and sing at the top of my lungs. For you, Davy. <3



Black Bean Brownies

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 ripe bananas
1/3 c agave
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c sugar (optional, I left it out)
1/4 c oats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees; line an 8x8 pan with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.

Throw everything else into the food processor and let it rip.

Bake for 30 minutes. These brownies will have a fudge-like consistency. Gluten free, too. Can't taste the beans at all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A footnote: I'll just say the taste of the bananas was too much for me in this recipe. I might try it with applesauce instead.